Raby with Keverstone Township, 1848
RABY, with Keverstone, a township, in the parish of Staindrop, union of Teesdale, S.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1 mile (N. by W.) from Staindrop; containing 284 inhabitants. The township comprises 2,736 acres; the surface is finely undulated, and the scenery beautiful, especially in the park attached to Raby Castle. The castle, the seat of his grace the Duke of Cleveland, is situated on an eminence commanding a wide prospect, and is a noble pile, surrounded with ramparts and a deep fosse inclosing an area of two acres. From its stately exterior, which retains much of its original appearance, a good idea may be formed of the grandeur of a baronial mansion in early times; the style of the south front, with the elegant symmetry of the windows, has a pleasing effect, and the interior comprises numerous convenient apartments furnished with great taste. A carriage-road now passes through the hall, or ancient place of rendezvous, which is a truly magnificent apartment, having two rows of octagonal piers, and a beautiful groined roof. Keverstone Grange, about half a mile from Raby Castle, a modernised house where the Duke of Cleveland's auditor resides, was the residence of Sir George Freville, Knt., the commissioner sent to take possession of the Raby estates, when they were forfeited by the Nevills, earls of Westmorland, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. It is finely situated, and commands extensive prospects. There are some good ashlar-stone quarries in the township. Raby confers the title of Baron on the Duke of Cleveland.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.