Preston village (Ellingham)

  • Description

    "Preston was a member of the barony of Alnwick and is first recorded in medieval documents in 1242. The medieval township probably extended as far north as Newham. A series of documents record the number of taxpayers and tenants in Preston, for example there were seven taxpayers in 1296, and in 1666 six tenants. The medieval village lay around Preston Tower and its remains are now within the grounds of Preston Hall...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N4979
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 340 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES