Topics > Cumbria > Plumbland > Plumbland Parish, 1848

Plumbland Parish, 1848


PLUMBLAND (St. Cuthbert), a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Cockermouth; containing 729 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2,440 acres, of which about 1,000 are meadow and pasture, 1,400 arable, and 40 woodland. Coal and limestone abound, and much of the latter is burned into lime; freestone of an inferior quality is also obtained. The Ellen, a fine trout stream, bounds the parish on the north and west. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 20. 14. 9.; net income, 371; patron, Henry Curwen, Esq. The church is a plain building, lately repaired and improved. There is an excellent parsonage-house, with about 72 acres of glebe. A free school was founded at Parsonby in 1759, by Captain John Sibson, who endowed it with lands now producing an annual income of 87; the school-house was erected in 1800.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Plumbland Parsonby Plumbland Civil Parish Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848 Church of St. Cuthbert, Parsonby

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES