Pillbox near Spittal Hill Farm, Mitford


This Second World War pillbox is located near Spittal Hill Farm, 320m north-west of Mitford Bridge. It was built by the Northern Command as part of the River Wansbeck Stop Line constructed between 1940 and 1941. This is one of four surviving pillboxes in the area which were constructed to the same design for the Stop Line. They are built with reinforced concrete, hexagonal in shape, with two longer sides, with a single door protected by a porch, and nine gun-slits.[1]

from Geograph (geograph)
Grass field at Spittal Hill Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Four pillboxes - Mitford / Hebron - List Entry
- "....The pillboxes, 894m NNE, 320m north west, 301m south and 718m south west of Mitford Bridge are substantially preserved as standing structures and are good examples of part of a ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Pillbox, near Mitford Castle
  Co-Curate Page
Pillbox, near Mitford Castle
- This Second World War pillbox is located near Mitford Castle, 718m south-west of Mitford Bridge. It was built by the Northern Command as part of the River Wansbeck Stop Line ...
Pillbox, Adders Haugh, Mitford
  Co-Curate Page
Pillbox, Adders Haugh, Mitford
- This Second World War pillbox is located on Adders Haugh, 301m south of Mitford Bridge. It was built by the Northern Command as part of the River Wansbeck Stop Line ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES