Topics > County Durham > Ouston > Ouston Township, County Durham, 1848
Ouston Township, County Durham, 1848
OUSTON, a township, in the parish and union of Chester-le-Street, Middle division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (N.N.W.) from Chester-le-Street; containing 282 inhabitants. This place belonged to the priory of St. Bartholomew, in Newcastle, and was granted by Henry VIII., by letters-patent in the 36th of his reign, to Sir William Barentine, Knt., and others, since which period it has been in the possession of various families. The township comprises 629 acres, of which about four-fifths are strong arable land. A colliery was opened in 1803 in the townships of Ouston and Harraton. The lands are exempt from all tithes, except Easter dues.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.