Topics > Cumbria > Rockcliffe > Old Hall, Rockcliffe

Old Hall, Rockcliffe


The Old Hall is located by the River Eden, north-east of the village of Rockcliffe in Cumbria. The house was built c.1730 on, or close to site of Rockcliffe Castle, which was demolished c.1682, when the first house was built for Rev Charles Usher. Usher had purchased Rockcliffe Castle and demesnes in 1682. Later, in 1809, the estate was sold to Robert Mounsey who built Castletown house - after which the house of c.1730 became known as "The Old Hall". It was used as an Auxiliary Hospital during the First World War. The Old Hall is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Rockcliffe Castletown House Historic Buildings and Monuments in Rockcliffe, Cumbria 1730
from Geograph (geograph)
Rockcliffe Old Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE OLD HALL - Rockcliffe - List Entry
- "House. Circa 1730 with C20 alterations and extensions. Rendered walls, stone dressings and moulded cornice; green slate roof with coped gables, rendered chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Roundheaded entrance ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Castletown House
  Co-Curate Page
Castletown House
- Overview Map Street View The Castletown Estate and farm is located on the north banks of the River Eden about ½ mile west of the village of Rockcliffe in Cumbria. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1146312
List grade: 2
County: Cumbria
Grid ref: NY3544361944

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES