Topics > Tees Valley > Newsham, Stockton-on-Tees > Newsham deserted medieval village

Newsham deserted medieval village


Newsham (the place name means 'the new dwelling') was a substantial village around the 12th century, but the settlement had been deserted by 1600. The few visible remains would be easy to miss, but there are lines of walls, house foundations and other earthworks - which are located to the along the north banks of the River Tees, to the south and east of Newsham Hall Farm. The remains of the deserted village are a Scheduled Monument.

Newsham, Stockton-on-Tees Deserted Medieval Village Historic Buildings and Monuments in Stockton-on-Tees Scheduled Monument
from Geograph (geograph)
Newsham Hall and the Medieval Village of Newsham

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from https://historicengland.org...
Newsham deserted medieval village

Added by
Pat Thomson

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1006764
Grid ref: NZ3832611108
District: Tees Valley

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES