Moresby Parish, 1848
Moresby (St. Bridget), a parish, in the union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward about Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing, with the township of Parton, 1,175 inhabitants, of whom 93 are in the township of Moresby, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Whitehaven. It is evident this was the site of a Roman station, from the numerous foundations of buildings, the caverns, and Roman inscriptions, which have been discovered. Horsley thinks that it was Arbeia, where, according to the Notitia, the Numerus Barcariorum Tigritensium was in garrison. The parish is bounded on the west by the Irish Sea. There is an iron-foundry. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 3½.; net income, £105; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church has been rebuilt. A school was endowed by Joseph Williamson, Esq., with lands now producing about £42 per annum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.