Parton Township, 1848
PARTON, a township, in the parish of Moresby, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 1¾ mile (N.) from Whitehaven; containing 663 inhabitants. Several vessels were employed here in the coal-trade until 1795, when the pier was washed away by an unusually high tide, since which the harbour has been resorted to by a few fishing-boats only. North of the village is an extensive iron-foundry. Some years ago, a tunnel was constructed through Rednees point, in continuation of a railway from the neighbouring coal-works to Whitehaven. There is a place of worship for Independents; also a free school, erected in 1818 by Joseph Williamson, Esq., and endowed with £32 per annum.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.