Topics > County Durham > Civil Parishes in County Durham > Mickleton Civil Parish

Mickleton Civil Parish


About the Parish

Main Settlements: Mickleton (village)
Population:

413  (2011 Census)

403  (2001 Census)

Area: 19.0 km²
Parish Council: Mickleton Parish Council
Unitary Authority: Durham County Council

Historical

Ancient Township:

Mickleton Township

Townships became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).

Ancient Parish:

Romaldkirk Parish  (St Romald)

Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.

Poor Law Union:

Teesdale Poor Law Union, formed in 1837.

Teesdale Union Workhouse was located at Barnard Castle. 

Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls. 

The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as 'Public Assistance Institutions' until the National Assistance Act 1948.

County:

North Riding of Yorkshire

Transferred to County Durham on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

District Council:

Startforth Rural District (part of the North Riding of Yorkshire), formed in 1894. The district was abolished and transferred to County Durham in 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972.

Teesdale District (County Durham) from 1974 to 2009.

The district council was abolished when County Durham became a unitary authority on the 1st of April 2009.

See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Mickleton Civil Parish Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council, rather than the parish council.

Civil Parishes in County Durham Mickleton Historic Buildings and Monuments in Mickleton
from http://www.mickleton-pc.co.uk/
Mickleton Parish Council - community website.
- "Mickleton is a village in Teesdale, in the Pennines of England. Mickleton is situated by the meeting of the Lune River, as it leaves Lunedale, and joins the Tees, behind ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Mickleton
  Co-Curate Page
Mickleton
- Overview About Mickleton Map Street View Mickleton is a village in Teesdale, in the Pennines. It is located by the River Lune near where it leaves Lunedale and joins the ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES