List number: 1144649
List grade: 2
Wikipedia: Maryport Lighthouse
Grid ref: NY0298536811

Maryport Lighthouse


 

Maryport Lighthouse is a small lighthouse located in Maryport, Cumbria, England, formerly run by the UK's General Lighthouse Authority, Trinity House. The original Maryport lighthouse was built in 1796; the current structure dates from c.1846-56. In 1858 James Chance manufactured a small (fourth-order) fixed optic for Maryport. By 1946 the light was powered by acetylene. The painter L. S. Lowry used Maryport and the lighthouse in several of his paintings. Trinity House took charge of it in 1961.

In 1996 a new tower (54.7178°N 3.5107°W) was built from aluminium and the lighthouse was connected to mains electricity. Before this the lighthouse at Maryport had been the UK's oldest iron lighthouse. At 4.7 metres tall and with a light intensity of only 120 candelas, the new tower was one of Trinity House's smaller beacons, but the light can be seen out to sea. In 2010 Trinity House transferred responsibility for the light to the Maryport Harbour Authority.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 01/03/2019).
Visit the page: Maryport Lighthouse for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
Maryport Old lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Lighthouse, Maryport (c. 1846)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Maryport 'old' lighthouse

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Maryport South Pier

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The Old Lighthouse, Maryport

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
The entrance to Maryport harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
THE LIGHTHOUSE - Maryport - List Entry
- "Circa 1846. Probably the oldest cast iron lighthouse in Britain. Disused. About 36 feet high. On tall plinth of russicated stone with a flattened Tudor arched panel in each face ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.timesandstar.co....
Lighthouse to put spotlight on Maryport
- News and Star, 9th May 2016. "MARYPORT'S lighthouse is to be restored thanks to a £50,000 government grant. The octagonal cylindrical lighthouse built in 1846 stands on the ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old lighthouse, Maryport

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Maryport Harbour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES