Mainsforth Township, 1848
MAINSFORTH, a township, in the parish of Bishop's-Middleham, union of Sedgefield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8¾ miles (S.S.E.) from Durham; containing 42 inhabitants. The township comprises about 810 acres; it is intersected by the little Skerne, and the ford or main way across a morass formed by the stream gives name to the village. Limestone abounds. Some years since, a pair of moose-deer horns was found in a hollow, upon the summit of a conical hill near the place. On an adjoining hill is an old house named the Swanhouse, where certain dues called Swan-oats were formerly paid to the convent of Durham, and afterwards to the chapter. The great tithes have been commuted for £57, and the small for £35. Mainsforth was the residence of the late Robert Surtees, Esq., the indefatigable antiquary and accomplished scholar, who published several folio volumes of an elaborate history of he county.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.