Lynesack with Softley, 1848
LYNESACK, with Softley, a township, in the chapelry of Hamsterley, parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Staindrop; containing 910 inhabitants. This extensive township, commonly called South Side, is bounded on the south by the river Gaunless or Wanless, and on the north by the Lin-burn, and comprises the hamlets of Houl, Lynesack, Potter-Cross, Softley, and Trough-Lane Head. The land is mostly of a cold nature, especially towards the north, and a small portion is barren waste; the surface is boldly diversified with hills. Coal is found in great abundance, and several mines are in operation, the produce of which is sent into Yorkshire and the adjacent country. Ironstone is also found, and in the township are some works for smelting the ore, belonging to the Duke of Cleveland. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. A considerable portion of the land is tithe free.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.