Lumpsey Ironstone Mine
Lumpsey Ironstone Mine was located about a quarter of a mile south of Brotton. Lumpsey Mine was established in c.1882, run by Bell Brothers Ltd. The shafts were about 180 m deep and in 1890 it was noted that drilling machines, worked by hydraulic power were being used in the mine. At that time the mine employed 140 men and boys and produced around 3,000 tons of ironstone per week. By 1921 Lumpsey mine employed 483 people (346 working below ground, and 137 on the surface). In 1923 ownership of the mine passed to Dorman Long Ltd. The mine closed in 1954, bringing to an end the long history of ironstone mining in Brotton.