Remains of Lumpsey Ironstone Mine

  • Description

    "The mine commenced operations in 1881 under the ownership of Bell Brothers. The pit comprised two shafts, 75 feet deep, both now capped. To the left of the brick structure can be seen the circular concrete cap of one of these shafts. Lumpsey was the second mine in Brotton and the last to close in 1954. The former Middlesbrough to Whitby railway, now just a branch to the Boulby Potash Mine, passes behind the concrete structure right of centre. This is the foundations for a ore tipping shed, the railway trucks passing through it. The mine was connected underground to those at Carlin How and North Skelton. After closure in 1954 the shafts continued to provide ventilation to the latter mine. During WW1 a six inch railway truck mounted gun was stored at Lumpsey. During the Zeppelin attack the gun was hauled along the railway line to Huntcliff, in the far distance in the photo." Photo by Mick Garratt, 2008.
  • Owner

    Mick Garratt
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 544 times
    Picture Taken: 2008-01-25
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.