Topics > Tees Valley > Carlin How > Carlin How Ironstone Mine

Carlin How Ironstone Mine

Opened in c.1896 and came under the ownership of Dorman Long & Co ltd in 1923. By 1924 the mine employed 334 people (248 working under ground, 86 on the surface).[1] From around 1925, Carlin How worked in conjunction with the Lumpsey Ironstone mine; all stone was wound at the Lumpsey Shaft (depth of 570 ft), whilst the Carlin How shafts were used for winding men and material and for pumping. 
Carlin How Lumpsey Ironstone Mine Dorman, Long and Co Ltd Ironstone Mining in Cleveland


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.