Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Lower Holker Civil Parish > Lower Holker, 1848

Lower Holker, 1848


HOLKER, LOWER, a township, in the parish of Cartmel, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 1¾ mile (S.W.) from Cartmel; containing 1,070 inhabitants. This township is chiefly distinguished for the Hall to which it gives name. In the time of Elizabeth the house was the family mansion of the Prestons, from whom it passed to the Lowthers, and from them to the Cavendish family, the present owners. Many picturesque objects are seen hence; the woody hills of Conishead Priory, the shipping in the port of Ulverston, the capacious bay of Morecambe to the south, and Cartmel Fell towering to the north, enrich and dignify the scene. Flookborough, in the township, now a small village, was formerly a market-town: a large part of the marshes below this village has been embanked, but ineffectually, for, in the course of a few years more than 200 acres have been washed away by the heavy surfs of Morecambe bay. At Flookborough is a chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, which has been enlarged with 170 sittings: the living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £121, and in the patronage of the Earl of Burlington.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Lower Holker Civil Parish Flookburgh Church of St John the Baptist, Flookburgh Cartmel Parish, 1848
Flookburgh
  Co-Curate Page
Flookburgh
- Overview About Flookburgh Map Street View Flookburgh is a village in the South Lakeland district in Cumbria, located about 2½ miles south-west of Grange-over-Sands. Flookburgh is an ancient village on ...
Church of St John the Baptist, Flookburgh
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St John the Baptist, Flookburgh
- Overview About St John's Church Map Street View St John the Baptist's Church in Flookburgh was built 1897-1900, designed by Austin and Paley. The church is Grade II* listed on ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES