Longhoughton Parish, 1848
HOUGHTON, LONG (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing, with the townships of Little Houghton and Boulmer with SeatonHouse, 772 inhabitants, of whom 483 are in the township of Long Houghton, 3¾ miles (E.N.E.) from Alnwick. The parish comprises 3,835 acres by computation: the soil is generally a strong loam; the surface is diversified with hills. Coal, whinstone, and lime are obtained. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4.; net income, £162; patron, the Duke of Northumberland; impropriators, Earl Grey, and James Murray and W. Hindmarsh, Esqrs. The church, a plain structure, has a fine old tower with a beautiful Norman arch. A little westward of the village, is a romantic eminence called Ratcheugh Cray.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.