Topics > Northumberland > Civil Parishes in Northumberland > Birtley Civil Parish > Historic Buildings and Monuments in Birtley CP

Historic Buildings and Monuments in Birtley CP


Listed buildings and scheduled monuments in Birtley Civil Parish, Northumberland, from the the National Heritage List for England[1]. Use the Search (below) if looking for a specific building / monument.

Structure List No. Grade Built~ Notes
Belvedere Retaining Wall C30 Yards South and East of Carrycoats Hall 1155089 II   Carrycoats
Birtley Castle, in Garden of Birtley Hall 1044931 II    
Byre, Granary (And) Wall C20 Yards North-East of Lowshield Green Farmhouse 1303512 II    
Carrycoats Hall 1155082 II C17th Carrycoats
Catreen Farmhouse, Outbuildings and Wall 1044932 II    
Church of St Giles 1370467  II* C12th Restored 1884
Footbridge 30 Yards South of Lowshield Green 1044935 II    
Garden Wall and Gate Piers South-West of Carrycoats Hall 1155100 II   Carrycoats
Garden Wall East of Carrycoats Hall 1370468 II   Carrycoats
Garden Walls at Buteland Farm 1044933 II    
Limekiln C 300 Yards South of Birtley Hall 1155075 II    
Lowshield Green Farmhouse and Stable 1044934 II    
Sheepfold and Shepherds Shelter C1500 Yards North-East of Lowshield Green 1303515 II    
Stables and Groom's Cottage C20 Yards North-West of Carrycoats Hall 1155103 II    
The Manor House 1261883 II 1677  
War Memorial by the Church of St Giles 1391548 II 1920  
Romano-British farmstead, 520m north east of Birtley Shields 1009676 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Round cairn, 300m south of Lowshield Green 1014050 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Round cairn, 800m north east of Lowshield Green 1014051 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Roman milestone N of Waterfalls Farm 1006496 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Goodwife's Hut Romano-British settlement, 310m WNW of South Farm 1013089 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Two round cairns, 220m south west of Pittland Hills 1014049 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Romano-British farmstead, 300m north of Buteland 1009675 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Hut circle, 420m north west of High Carry House 1009677 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Romano-British settlement, 300m north of The Heugh 1010045 n/a   Scheduled Monument
Romano-British settlement, 700m north west of The Heugh 1010046 n/a   Scheduled Monument

Primary source: the National Heritage List for England - NHLE is the register of nationally protected historic buildings and sites in England, including listed buildings, scheduled monuments, protected wrecks, registered parks and gardens, and battlefields. The list is maintained by Historic England. Check NHLE for updates and new entries.
Secondary sources: British Listed Buildings and Keys to the Past.

Church of St Giles
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Giles
- St Giles, Church in Birtley, Northumberland, was built in the 12th century, and restored in 1884. The church is a Grade II* listed building.
Manor House
  Co-Curate Page
Manor House
War Memorial
  Co-Curate Page
War Memorial
Carrycoats Hall
  Co-Curate Page
Carrycoats Hall

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES