Topics > Northumberland > Lemmington
Lemmington is a hamlet in Northumberland, located about 4 miles west of Alnwick, in the Civil Parish of Edlingham. The hamlet includes Lemmington Hall and a few cottages. About half a mile to the east of the Hall is Lemmington Branch, an 18th century hilltop 'eyecatcher' overlooking Lemmington Bank.
LEMMINGTON, a township, in the parish of Edlingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 4¾ miles (W.S.W.) from Alnwick; containing 125 inhabitants. It comprises about 2,060 acres, the whole of which, with the exception of 300 acres of moor, and 70 of wood, are arable land; the surface is undulated, and the scenery very pleasing, embracing a fine view of the rich vale of Whittingham. Good freestone is wrought, and there is a land-sale colliery. The Hall, a fine modern mansion of hewn freestone, is surrounded by plantations.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Deep in the nearby Lemmington Woods is an example of prehistoric rock art with runic inscriptions. Also in the woods are sections of the trackbed of the former Alnwick to Cornhill Railway.
Not to be confused with Lemington in Newcastle!
Add a comment or share a memory.