Leasingthorne is a small village in County Durham located about 3 miles north-east of Bishop Aukland. Leasingthorne is under a mile east of Leeholm and Coundron and a mile south of Kirk Merrington. The village originally grew in association with Leasingthorne Colliery, which opened in 1863. In the past Leasingthorne was larger, having around 6 rows of terraced houses, a village school, some shops, and a methodist church (1908-1964). However, many of the buildings were demolished after the colliery closed in 1967. Today there are a couple of farms and a row of houses on Eden Terrace.