Leasingthorne Colliery (1836 - 1967)


Leasingthorne Colliery opened in 1836 under the ownership of Messrs. King, Mearse & Campion. In the 1870s the colliery came under the ownership of  the ironmaking company Bolckow, Vaughan & Co. and by the end of the 19th century was producing around 700 tons of coal per day. In 1929 the Colliery was owned by Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. By 1930 there were 1,537 men and boys emploted at the colliery (1,280 working below ground and 257 working on the surface), producing around 1,000 tons of coal a day.[1] The colliery closed in October 1967.

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Leasingthorne Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.durhamintime.org...
Leasingthorne Colliery
- Article by Herbert Harker. "Transportation of coal from and to Leasingthorne Colliery by rail was developed with the opening of mineral lines, in conjunction with the Darlington and Stockton Railway ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Leeholme, County Durham
  Co-Curate Page
Leeholme, County Durham
- Overview Map Street View Leeholme is a village in County Durham, located about 2 miles north-east of Bishop Aukland. The village was originally developed to accomodate miners and their families, ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES