Langdale Township, 1848
LANGDALE, a township, in the parish of Orton, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2½ miles (S.E.) from Orton; containing 123 inhabitants. The township is situated between Tebay and Raisbeck, and comprises 7,702 acres, of which about 5,000 are common or waste. It is a mountainous district extending southwards to the borders of Yorkshire; and belonged to the priory of Watton, in that county, to which it was granted by Henry II., and on the dissolution of which the manor was sold to the Wharton family. The rectorial tithes were purchased in 1618 by the landowners, and the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £60. Bishop Barlow, a learned divine of the seventeenth century, was born here.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.