Lancaster and Carlisle Railway
The Lancaster and Carlisle Railway (L&CR) was authorised on 6 June 1844 to build a railway line between Lancaster and Carlisle. The line, including the Docker Viaduct, was opened in 1846. L&CR built the Ingleton Branch Line in 1861. In 1879 L&CR was merged into the London and North Western Railway, later to bcome part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Much of the main L&CR line survives today as part of the West Coast Main Line.