Topics > Tyne and Wear > Newcastle upon Tyne > Jesmond > Jesmond, 1848

Jesmond, 1848


JESMOND, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew, union of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2 miles (N.N.E.) from Newcastle; containing 1,725 inhabitants. This place, the name of which signifies the "Mount of Jesus," had a chapel and hospital dedicated to the Virgin Mary, which, in the reign of Edward VI., were granted to the corporation of Newcastle; it was the resort of pilgrims from all parts of the kingdom, who came to visit the shrine and the holy well of St. Mary. The township is included within the municipal boundaries of the borough of Newcastle, and comprises 704 acres; the soil is a strong clayey loam, producing good crops of wheat and abundance of fruit. The surrounding scenery is diversified, in many parts beautifully picturesque; and, from the handsome seats and villas in the neighbourhood, the place is a favourite resort. The village is on the high road leading to Blyth, and consists of ranges of well-built houses, among which are Jesmond Terrace and Warwick Place. The township contains some large flour-mills, and a factory for spinning shoemakers' and tailors' thread. The tithes have been commuted for £46 payable to the Bishop, a similar amount to the Dean and Chapter, of Carlisle, and £92 to the vicar of Newcastle. The remains of the chapel of St. Mary, after having been for a long time appropriated as a barn, were cleared out by the late James Losh, Esq., and are now carefully preserved; the hospital has been converted into a dwelling-house. At Villa Keal, a stone coffin, formed of six slabs, and containing a skeleton and an urn, was found in 1828.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Jesmond Newcastle, Historical Account, 1848 Parishes and Townships - 1848 St Andrew's Parish, Newcastle, 1848

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES