Ivegill

  • Description

    This meeting house does not appear in Butler 1999. Thomas Stubbs held a Meeting for Worship in 1655 in a previous building here when it was owned by Mungo Bewley. This structure was built in 1713 and described in a sale in 2006 and by a very old villager in 2009 as a former Quaker Meeting House. A Quaker burial ground was recorded behind the house in 1923 which adds weight to the idea that this was both a home and a meeting house. According to Donald A. Rooksby, And Sometime Upon the Hills. 3 vols. Vol. 3, The Quakers in North-West England (Colwyn Bay: 1998), "another Quaker family which lived here was the Bartons; Barnard Barton (d. 1773) is claimed to have been the inventor of the spinning jenny, which was improved upon by Arkwright; the poet Bernard Barton (1784-1849) was his grandson." This is disputed on two unspecified counts at http://bartonhistory.wikispaces.com/The+Grange,+Ivegill" rel="noreferrer nofollow">bartonhistory.wikispaces.com/The+Grange%2C+Ivegill although no source is given.
  • Owner

    Britain Quaker Meeting Houses
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98826199@N00/3662332377/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 343 times
    Picture Taken: 2009-06-26T12:58:41
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES