Iron Ore Mining on Muron Fell
There was extensive mining on Morton Fell, to the east of Lamplugh, near Whitehaven in Cumbria. This included Knockmurton mine (named after the hill 'Knock Muron') which was recorded as being owned by Wm. Baird & Co. Ltd. in the 1880s. It mined Red Hematite (iron ore). In 1902, Knockmurton, together with nearby Kelton mine employed 141 (121 working below ground and 20 on the surface). Knockmurton mine was abandoned in June, 1914.