Hutton Magna Parish, 1848
HUTTON-MAGNUM, a parish, partly in the union of Teesdale, and partly in that of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N. riding of York; containing, with the township of West Layton, 297 inhabitants, of whom 209 are in the township of Hutton-Magnum, 3¼ miles (E. by S.) from Greta-Bridge. The township, including the hamlet of Lane-Head, comprises by computation 1,500 acres, of which a portion may be classed among the best and richest lands in the county; it is chiefly the property of Sir Clifford Constable, Bart., who is lord of the manor. At Lane-Head is an extensive limestone-quarry. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Gilling, with a net income of £52: the church is a plain structure.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.