Topics > Northumberland > Humbleton > Humbleton Chapel (ruins)

Humbleton Chapel (ruins)


A knoll, known as 'Chapel Hill', is located to the south of Humbleton. This is the reamins of Humbleton Chapel and it's associated burial ground. The earliest known documentary reference to the chapel is in 1704 and later records state that some 20 headstones were standing prior to cultivation in the early part of the 19th century.[1] The remains of Humbleton Chapel are a Scheduled Monument.

Humbleton Historic Buildings and Monuments in Akeld Civil Parish Scheduled Monument
from Geograph (geograph)
Site of Humbleton Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Humbleton Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Medieval chapel, 220m south east of White Gables
- ".....The monument includes the remains of Humbleton Chapel and part of its associated graveyard, situated on the south side of Humbleton village on a knoll which has been accentuated by ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1017378
Keys to the Past HER: N1524
County: Northumberland
Grid ref: NT9777128415

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES