Medieval chapel, 220m south east of White Gables

  • Description

    ".....The monument includes the remains of Humbleton Chapel and part of its associated graveyard, situated on the south side of Humbleton village on a knoll which has been accentuated by ploughing. The chapel measures about 28m north east to south west by 6m transversely and survives up to three courses high at the north east end. A 5.5m length of wall, constructed of clay bonded rubble masonry, is exposed at the north east end and stands up to 1m high. The remainder of the building to the west survives as turf covered foundations. The remains of an associated graveyard survive to the south; human bone and coffin nails were recovered from the south side of the knoll in 1998 in earth displaced by rabbit activity. The earliest known documentary reference to the chapel is in 1704. The site of the chapel and a burial ground in an area known as `Chapel Hill' is shown on an estate plan of 1827....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1017378
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 291 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES