Hetton Silver Band (1887 - 2009)
Hetton Silver Band was founded on the 1st April, 1887. The brass band was associated with miners from Hetton Colliery in Hetton-le-Hole. The band purchased a small plot of land in South Market Street from the Hetton Coal Company for £25, and built a tin hut there to meet and practice in. In 1912 the band won first prize (the 'One Thousand Guinea Trophy') at the national brass band festival in London. Around that time (presumably using the prize money) the tin hut was replaced by a brick building, known as Hetton Silver Band Hall. In 2009 the band merged with another local brass band, to become Durham Miners’ Association Brass Band. At that point, the Hall became redundant and the Durham Miners’ Association later donated the building to Beamish Museum. With the help of local fund raising, the Hall was dismantled and rebuilt as a feature at Beamish Museum in 2011.