Topics > Tyne and Wear > Sunderland > Hetton-le-Hole > Hetton Lyons Colliery (1822 - 1950)

Hetton Lyons Colliery (1822 - 1950)


Hetton Lyons Colliery was opened in 1822 by Hetton Coal Co. (later Lambton, Hetton & Joicey Collieries Ltd.). The Hetton Colliery Railway was developed by George Stephenson to transport coal from the colliery to Sunderland. At it's peak in 1921, Hetton Lyons Colliery employed 1,070 people (705 working below ground, 365 on the surface). The colliery closed on the 11th of July, 1950 with the loss of 441 jobs.[1]
Hetton-le-Hole Hetton Colliery Railway
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Hetton Colliery
- also known as Hetton Lyon's Colliery , Lyon's Colliery....

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Members of the Hetton Lodge of the Durham Miners Association posing with their banner

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES