Herrington Colliery (1874-1985)
Herrington Colliery opened in 1874 near Herrington. At that time it was owned by of the Earl of Durham and the colliery worked the 'Hutton seam' which was 3 feet in thickness, at a depth of 170 fathoms and the 'Maudlin seam' which was 4½ feet thick, at a depth of145 fathoms. By 1960 the colliery was working 5 seams and employed 1,766. The Colliery was closed in December 1985. When it closed the colliery waste heap was the biggest in the North East. However, the site was transformed into Herrington Country Park covering around 200 hectares, and linking up the villages of Penshaw, Herrington and Shiney Row.