Topics > Tyne and Wear > Sunderland > Penshaw

Penshaw


PAINSHAW, or Pensher, a township, in the parish and union of Houghton-le-Spring, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Houghton; containing 1,912 inhabitants. This township comprises 1054a. 3r. 12p., of which 542 acres are arable, 355 grass-land, 44 wood, and 112 waste; it is situated on the road from Sunderland to Chester-le-Street, and is the property of the Marquess of Londonderry and the Earl of Durham. The surface is varied, and the higher grounds command extensive and interesting prospects, one of which, from the churchyard, embraces the cathedral of Durham; the scenery is enriched with wood, mostly oak. The soil is partly clay, but chiefly a rich loam producing abundant crops; the substrata are principally freestone, limestone, and firestone, of which last considerable quantities are sent to various parts. The York and Newcastle railway has a station here. The church of Painshaw, dedicated to All Saints, was erected in 1746, and a cemetery was added to it in 1756: the living is a district rectory, in the gift of the Bishop of Durham, with an income of £380. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans in the village, and also in the hamlet of Shiney-Row. On Painshaw Hill is a monument in the Grecian style, erected to the memory of the late Earl of Durham, after a design by John and Benjamin Green, of Newcastle.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

The village of Penshaw , formerly known as Painshaw or Pensher, is an area of the metropolitan district of the City of Sunderland, in Tyne and Wear, England. Historically in County Durham, it derives its name from the Cumbric Pen, meaning hill or ridge, and the Saxon Shaw, a wood or thicket; thus Penshaw is the wooded hill.

Penshaw is well-known locally for Penshaw Monument, a prominent landmark built in 1844 atop Penshaw Hill, which is a half-scale replica of the Temple of Hephaestus in Athens. Owing to its proximity to Durham City, the area was allocated a Durham postcode, DH4, which forms part of the Houghton-le-Spring post town. It lies about three miles north of Houghton-le-Spring, just over the River Wear from Washington. It borders Herrington Country Park and is surrounded by a series of villages: Herrington, Shiney Row, Biddick, Coxgreen and Offerton.

In terms of leisure amenities, Herrington Country Park is easily accessible and the Park contains a well-used young person's play area, a performance bowl, a skateboard park, a lake with extensive wildlife and a memorial site to Herrington Colliery which once mined the site for coal. The country park also holds many events like the county show which includes dog shows, face painting,bouncy castles etc. There are three public houses, The Prospect (original name recently restored), The Monument (formerly The Ship) and The Grey Horse. Though no working men's club remains, a Catholic club is situated on Station Rd. There are three Chinese takeaway facilities, Peach Garden, Mandarin Palace and Oriental House and an Indian restaurant and takeaway, the Penshaw Tandoori. Community facilities include Penshaw Community Centre and All Saints' Church Hall; both organise regular spring and summer events. In the village, at the foot of Penshaw Hill, is Penshaw Riding School. At the centre of Barnwell is an extensive playing field and young person's play area. Penshaw also has three primary schools within comfortable walking distance of each other, Barnwell, New Penshaw and Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic.

There are two annual events for children, an easter egg rolling competition on Penshaw Hill (the Penshaw Egg Bowl), and a scarecrow hunt [http://www.penshawcommunityassociation.org.uk/ScarecrowTrailEvent.html] organised by the village community.

An annual cross-country event takes place in June each year when Sunderland Harriers stage the Penshaw Hill Race with a presentation to the winner and runners up in The Monument public house after the race.

There are extensive views from the top of Penshaw Hill on a clear day: Durham Cathedral to the South West, the coast of Roker and Seaburn to the East and the Cheviot Hills to the North.

The Hill, as it is known locally, also overlooks Wearside Golf Club, a long-established golf club originating in 1892 and Sunderland AFC's Stadium of Light can also be seen clearly from here.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 07/09/2017).
Visit the page: Penshaw for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

Sunderland Houghton-le-Spring Parish, 1848 Shiney Row Penshaw Monument Map and Aerial View
from TWAM (flickr)
Fatfield from Penshaw Station

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Penshaw View..............Twilight Edition

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Penshaw Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Penshaw Village, 2 pubs and a church

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Station Road, Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Wensleydale Avenue, Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Chester Road (A183) in Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Railway Cottages, Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Station Road, Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
A disused railway line with a story ...

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Footbridge over the Leamside Line

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Kingswood, Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Coxgreen Road, Penshaw

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Unadopted road to Low Lambton Farm (old wagonway)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Penshaw North House Farm

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Shiney Row
  Co-Curate Page
Shiney Row
- Overview About Shiney Row Map Street View   Shiney Row is a village in Houghton-le-Spring, Tyne and Wear. The village enjoys good travel links with not just the rest of ...
Penshaw Monument
  Co-Curate Page
Penshaw Monument
- Overview History and Further Details Map Street View The Earl of Durham's Monument, better known as the Penshaw Monument, was built in 1844 on Penshaw Hill. The folly is a ...
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-29 (Jan) B 10

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-03-11 (Mar) D 01

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-21 (Jan) D 05

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-08 d 05

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-21 (Jan) D 06

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-20 (Jan) B 06

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-21 (Jan) D 07

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-01-21 (Jan) D 08

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-03-09 (Mar) C 01

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
20.12.1917b1

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES