Hawthorn Township, 1848
HAWTHORN, a township, in the parish and union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 10½ miles (E. by N.) from Durham; containing 177 inhabitants. This township is situated on the coast of the North Sea, which being lined with rugged and precipitous rocks, has been fatal to numerous vessels on their voyage to Sunderland. On the 5th of November, 1824, not less than 50 vessels perished in a storm immediately off this part, and the crews of all were lost, with the exception of the crew of one only, who were enabled to effect their escape by means of a rope, thrown from the vessel, and brought to land by a Newfoundland dog belonging to Major Anderson. The village is about two miles from the sea, on the acclivity of a deep and richly-wooded glen called Hawthorn-Dean, through which a stream flows, between rocks of towering height, into a natural hythe or harbour, formed by the projection of a rock called the Skaw, and which might, at a moderate outlay, be formed into a secure haven. On the south side of this bay, which is called Hawthorn Hive, is a lofty eminence named Beacon Hill, whereon fires were formerly lighted to warn mariners of their danger; and on the north side is Hawthorn Cottage, built by Major Anderson, near the site of a former residence, erected by Admiral Milbank, and designated Sailors' Hall. A school was endowed with £200 by Robert Forster, of this place, a member of the Society of Friends, in 1736.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.