Haswell Colliery Engine House


The Engine House is all that remains of Haswell Colliery, and is located just east of Haswell Plough and south of Haswell in County Durham. It was a beam pumping engine house, built c.1835. The remains, known as 'Haswell Arch' are preserved as a monument to the disaster of 28th September 1844, in which 95 men and boys died in an explosion at the colliery. The engine house is a Scheduled Monument.

from Flickr (flickr)
The Spirit of Haswell

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
The Old Winding House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.historicengland...
Haswell Colliery engine house, 180m north west of Plough Farm - List Entry
- ".....The surrounding colliery site has been landscaped and the monument, known locally as the Haswell Arch, stands isolated as a memorial to the 1844 disaster. The monument includes the remains ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Haswell Plough, County Durham
  Co-Curate Page
Haswell Plough, County Durham
- Haswell Plough is a village in County Durham, located about half a mile south-west of Haswell and a mile north-west of Shotton Colliery.
Haswell, County Durham
  Co-Curate Page
Haswell, County Durham
- Overview About Haswell Map Street View Haswell is a village in County Durham, which is in easy commuting distance of Durham City, which is about 6 miles to the west. ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES