Former Cleator & Workington Junction Railway at Harrington Junction, 1951

Related Pages


Harrington


Cumbria

  • Description

    "This is a puzzling photograph, taken in April 1951 when the Railway was still open for goods and mineral traffic (until about 1963) although passenger services had ceased in 1932. It is difficult to be quite certain about the location, but the shadows show that the direction must be northward, with the former High Harrington station (closed 4/4/31 to passengers, 1/7/63 to goods) not far behind. As long as the many collieries, iron-mines, and iron- and steel-works remained active, the railways in West Cumberland were incredibly complex, belonging before the 1923 Grouping to a number of different Companies, apart from the principals (London & North Western, Furness and Maryport & Carlisle). It would seem that this is the main line of the C.& W.J.R., looking towards Workington Central, with the branches to Harrington Harbour and to the Derwent and Moss Bay Iron Works turning off to the left. [?]." Photo by Walter Dendy, deceased, 1951.
  • Owner

    Walter Dendy, deceased
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5162661
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 127 times
    Picture Taken: 1951-04-21
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES