Harnham is a hamlet in Northumberland, located about 8 miles south-west of Morpeth and 2 miles north-west of Bolam. Harnham Hall here dates from the 16th Century. Harnham is home to the Aruna Natanagiri Buddhist Monastery. The settlememt is part of the Civil Parish of Belsay; in the past Harnham was a township in the ancient Parish of Bolam.
HARNHAM, a township, in the parish of Bolam, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 12 miles (W.S.W.) from Morpeth; containing 75 inhabitants. The name of this place is supposed to be a corruption of Horn-ham, or "Corner house." It was a ville and manor in the Bolbeck barony, of which it was holden by knights' service by the Bolams, and half of it by their successors, the Bekerings, till 1412, since which time property has been possessed here by the families of Strevelyn, Grey, Carnaby, Wrinkles, Babington, Dawson, and Leighton. The fortalice was the residence of Babington, a major in the republican army, and governor of Berwick, who married a daughter of Hazlerigg, the well-known adherent of Cromwell. The township comprises 680 acres. The village, occupying the site of an ancient fortress, a place of great strength, is well built; its situation is altogether peculiar, and its appearance on every side striking. It is seated on the brow of a precipice of coarse sandstone; the north, west, and south sides are defended by an abrupt rock of freestone slate, and the neck of land which connects with high ground to the east, was girt with a wall which was passed by an iron gate. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £18. 11. 2., and the vicarial for £10. 3. 5.