Greta Bridge, 1848
GRETA-BRIDGE, a hamlet, in the parishes of Brignall, Rokeby, and Wycliffe, union of Teesdale, W. division of the wapentake of Gilling, N. riding of York, 54 miles (N.W. by N.) from York, and 242½ (N.N.W.) from London. It takes its name from a lofty bridge of one arch, erected in the line of the Watling-street, upon the site of a more ancient structure, over the river Greta, a little above its junction with the Tees: at each extremity is a commodious inn, once much frequented by travellers on the great road from London to Glasgow. There are vestiges of a Roman camp in the neighbourhood, where an altar and several coins have been discovered; and here Mr. Ward places the Maglove of the Notitia.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.