CLIFTON, GREAT, a township and chapelry, in the parish of Workington, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3 miles (E.) from Workington; the township containing 378 inhabitants. This township contains by admeasurement 900 acres of arable and pasture land, and 39 of wood. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron, the Rector of Workington. The tithes were commuted for land in 1814. The chapel, which is situated in Little Clifton, is an ancient structure. Here are the remains of a cross, where, according to tradition, a market was formerly held. The Rev. Jeremiah Seed, a theological writer, who died in 1747, was a native of the place.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.