BURDON, GREAT, a township, in the parish of Haughton-le-Skerne, union, and S. E. division of the ward, of Darlington, S. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (N.E. by E.) from Darlington; containing 117 inhabitants. It comprises 589 acres, of which 312 are arable, 264 grass-land, and 14 acres roads and waste. The whole of the township is leased under the Dean and Chapter of Durham: the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £131. 6. The Stockton and Darlington railway passes on the south.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.