Ford Township (Bishopwearmouth), 1848
FORD, a township and chapelry, in the parish of Bishop-Wearmouth, union of Sunderland, N. division of Easington ward and of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (W.) from Sunderland; containing 1,720 inhabitants. This township is on the Wear, and comprises the scattered village of South Hylton, on the southern bank of the river, over which is a ferry to the village of North Hylton, situated within the limits of the parish of Monk-Wearmouth. Ford House is a handsome mansion, among thriving plantations; and the adjacent scenery is of pleasing character. Ironstone of a blueish colour is quarried to a considerable extent. At South Hylton are several yards for ship-building, a paper-mill, some copperas-works, and an extensive manufactory of earthenware, chiefly for exportation to Germany. The chapel, situated at South Hylton, was erected and endowed by Capt. Maling, in 1817: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the family of Gray; net income, £140. There are places of worship for Primitive and Associated Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.