List grade: 1
List number: 1371004
Keys to the Past HER: N1812
Grid ref: NT9441637541
Post code: TD15 2PX

Ford Castle


"Ford Castle has its origins in the 14th century. Sir William Heron was given permission to fortify his residence here in 1338 when four towers were positioned on each corner. Of these, three survive, but one is detached ' the Flagpole Tower. The biggest tower was the King James's Tower on the north-west corner; it stands five storeys high if you count its vaulted basement. The basement is approached by a stair hidden within the thickness of the walls. The northern part of the castle is mainly 16th century in date, but was rebuilt, together with the forecourt and gateway in 1861. The main part of the castle was converted into a country house in 1694 and restored in 1862." K2tP

Ford Castle is a Grade I listed building situated at a shallow crossing point on the River Till, Ford, Northumberland, England.

The castle dates from about 1278. The owner Sir William Heron was granted a licence to crenellate the castle in 1338. It was captured by the Scots in 1385 and dismantled by them. However, by the beginning of the 16th century it had been rebuilt and refortified. It was taken by James IV of Scotland on the eve of the Battle of Flodden in 1513. The castle passed from the Heron family to the Carr family by marriage in 1549 and again by marriage passed to Sir Francis Blake of Cogges, Oxfordshire in the 1660s.

Blake built a substantial mansion in Tudor style within the castle in 1694. On Blake's death in 1717 the Ford estate passed to the husband of his late daughter Mary and then in 1723 to her son Francis Blake Delaval (1692–1752). In 1761 John Delaval, 1st Baron Delaval (1728–1808) rebuilt the Hall with the assistance of architect George Raffield in a Gothic style.

On his death the property passed to his granddaughter Susannah who had married the Marquess of Waterford. In 1862 Louisa, Dowager Marchioness of Waterford (d 1891), widow of the 3rd Marquess, restored and substantially remodelled the Hall.

The castle was acquired in 1907 by the coal-mining magnate James Joicey, 1st Baron Joicey and it remains in the ownership of his family, although since 1956 it has been leased to Northumberland County Council as a Young Persons' Residential Centre.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 20/09/2017).
Visit the page: Ford Castle for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from http://www.ford-castle.co.uk/
Ford Castle
- Website of Ford Castle and activity centre, includes visitor information, history, photos and other information.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
IMGP4542

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Castle Gate

Pinned by Lucy (Year 4)
from Flickr (flickr)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 532 of 'Second series. Chiefly in the Counties of Durham and Northumberland'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 195 of 'The Local Historian's Table Book of remarkable occurrences, historical facts, traditions, legendary and descriptive ballads, connected with the Counties of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, and Durham. Historical Division.

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 94 of 'Under a Border Tower: sketches and memories of Ford Castle, Northumberland, and its surroundings, with a memoir of its ... châtelaine, Louisa Marchioness of Waterford, with illustrations including the cartoons at Ford'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Image taken from page 53 of 'Under a Border Tower: sketches and memories of Ford Castle, Northumberland, and its surroundings, with a memoir of its ... châtelaine, Louisa Marchioness of Waterford, with illustrations including the cartoons at Ford'

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Flag Tower, Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Gateway to Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle and Church

Pinned by Peter Smith
from Geograph (geograph)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Peter Smith
from https://historicengland.org...
FORD CASTLE - List Entry
- "Country house, now field study centre. C14 (licence to crenellate 1338), converted into mansion 1694, given Gothick detail 1761 by George Raffield for Sir John Hussey Deleval. Restored to C17 ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.gatehouse-gazett...
FORD CASTLE, NORTHUMBERLAND
- "Ford Castle is an early example of a quadrangular or courtyard castle. It later became a country house and is now a field study centre. Granted a licence to crenellate ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Ford Castle

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES