Description"Ford Castle stands on a hillside overlooking the River Till.It is a fortified manor house dating from 1338. Because of its close proximity to Scotland the Castle suffered frequent attacks by the Scots. It is known that James IV of Scotland stayed here prior to the Battle of Flodden in 1513. The Castle was completely rebuilt by Sir John Hussey Delaval between 1761 and 1764 and then restored by Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford, between 1861 and 1863. Used by the Red Cross as a convalescent hospital during the second World War, it now used as an educational establishment." Photo by Lisa Jarvis, 2007.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/354895
Resource type: Image
Added by: Peter Smith
Last modified: 2 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 187 times
Picture Taken: 2007-03-05