Espershields with Milshield Township, 1848


ESPERSHIELDS, with Milshield, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northum-berland, 11½ miles (S.S.E.) from Hexham; containing 198 inhabitants. At Winnis Hill, a little westward, is a meeting-house for the Society of Friends, near which is a place called Hare Town, where it is supposed was formerly a collection of houses. The country between Espershields and Newbiggin, in the county of Durham, was anciently covered by a thick wood, said to have been burnt down by the owner, well known by the appellation of "Mad Maddison," who was afterwards hanged at Durham.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Esper Shields, Northumberland
  Co-Curate Page
Esper Shields, Northumberland
- Esper Shields is a farm / hamletnear Slaley Hall, located to the south of Hexham in Northumberland. There is an 18th century boundry marker, known as Donald's Grave, here. In ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES