Eldon Township, 1848
ELDON, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3½ miles (S.E. by E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 186 inhabitants. The township is comprised in the district of Shildon. John Scott, Earl of Eldon, and lord high chancellor of England, was elevated to the peerage by the title of Baron Eldon, on the 18th of July, 1799, and raised to the dignities of Viscount Encombe and Earl of Eldon, July 7th, 1821. A great part of the township belongs to his successor.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.