Eachwick Township, 1848
EACHWICK, a township, in the parish of Heddon-on-the-Wall, union of Castle ward, partly in the W. division of Castle ward, but chiefly in the E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 10½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Newcastle; containing 101 inhabitants. This was anciently a place of considerable importance, and belonged to Newminster Abbey. The late Mr. Spearman, the antiquary, bequeathed his estate here to Mr. John Hunter, who assumed the name of Spearman. The surface of the land is generally level, and the soil a good free gravel: there is a freestone-quarry. In making a road through an old intrenchment near the village, several hand millstones, a sacrificial knife, and a flint axe, were discovered.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.