Tyne and Wear HER(5058): Cullercoats, Dove Marine Laboratory & Salt Water Baths

  • Description

    "The original Dove Marine Laboratory building was constructed by the Northumberland Sea Fisheries Committee and opened on 21 October 1897. The laboratory exterior was merely a wooden hut next to the Salt Water Baths, which had been erected around 1807 by a Richard Armstrong. The Salt Water Baths were positioned in an area where no fresh water could mix with the sea water and weaken its strength, and were refilled every tide to avoid infection. The baths had four bathrooms and dressing rooms. The Marine Laboratory was built to undertake scientific studies into the Northumberland coast fishery to help increase its prosperity. In 1904 a fire destroyed the buildings. In September 1908 a new Marine Laboratory opened, thanks to local benefactor Mr W.H. Huddleston..."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/5058
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 392 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES