Deanraw Township, 1848
DEAN-RAW, a township, in the parish of Warden, N.W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 8 miles (W.) from Hexham; containing 673 inhabitants. Staward-le-Peel, here, was a possession of the Swinburne family at a very early period, and in 1386 was granted, by Edward, Duke of York, to the friars eremites of Hexham, to be held by the annual payment of five marks. The Howards, Sandersons, and Bacons subsequently held it; the last named family, who, in 1828, assumed the name of Grey in addition to that of Bacon, being the present owners. The natural features in the vicinity of Staward-le-Peel are highly interesting, and travellers who have visited the valleys of the Tyrol have stated that the grandeur of the scenery there, is here to be found in miniature. Near the confluence of the Allen and Harsingdale-burn, on the south side of the township, are the remains of the old fortress.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.