Crosby Garrett Parish, 1848
CROSBY-GARRET (St. Andrew), a parish, in East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 6½ miles (W. by S.) from Brough; containing 274 inhabitants, of whom 202 are in the township of Crosby-Garrett. This parish, which comprises the townships of Crosby Garrett and Little Musgrave, separated by the intervening chapelry of Soulby, is bounded on the north-east by the river Eden, and on the south-west by a lofty verdant hill, called Crosby Fell. The village is situated at the foot of the Fell, in a deep and romantic valley. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 4. 4½.; net income, £122; patron, William Crawford, Esq., lord of the manor. The church, which occupies an eminence overlooking the village, is a spacious and venerable structure, containing portions of the Norman style.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.